How to adjust existing bylaws
This tool shows topics that are commonly included in bylaws that comply with Ontario’s Corporations Act (OCA) and compares them to the new bylaw requirements under Ontario’s Not-for-Profit Corporations Act (ONCA).
This bylaw tool relates to ONCA. ONCA took effect on October 19th, 2021.
How to use this tool
- Keep your current bylaws handy while you read through this tool.
- Determine what, if anything, your bylaws say about each topic in the left-hand column of the tool.
- Compare what your bylaws say to what the ONCA will allow, which is described in the right-hand column of the tool.
- To learn more, go to the section of the ONCA legislation or of the OCA that is indicated in each section.
- Decide which areas of your bylaws need to be changed in order to comply with the ONCA.
- Write new bylaws that comply with the requirements of the ONCA. The sample bylaw with options may help.
- Follow the process outlined in your bylaws to change (amend) your bylaws.
Note: If your current bylaws don’t contain a section that explains how to change (amend) the bylaws, you may need legal advice.
In all cases, you may need to get legal advice or have your final bylaws reviewed by a lawyer to ensure they comply with the ONCA.
The CLEO bylaw builder will help you write ONCA-compliant bylaws from scratch.
Other resources on this website offer different ways to adjust your bylaws: